WordPress is a popular content management system that helps you easily create and manage a website. Many businesses use WordPress because it is easy to use and there are many themes and plugins available to extend the functionality of your website. So, how much does a WordPress website cost?
Table of Contents
- Introduction: WordPress is a popular website platform
- The cost of a WordPress website depends on many factors
- Examples of factors that affect WordPress website cost
- Example build of a WordPress site
- What would a small WordPress site cost when built by a professional?
- What to consider when asking for a quote for a WordPress site
- How to save money when building a WordPress website
- Conclusion: Cost varies depending on needs
Introduction: WordPress is a popular website platform
WordPress is a popular website platform that allows users to create a website without writing code. WordPress is free to use and easy to set up, making it a popular choice for small businesses and individuals who want to create a website. WordPress websites can be customized with themes and plugins, and they can be hosted on WordPress.com or on a self-hosted server. WordPress websites can range in cost from free to several thousand dollars, depending on the type of website you want to create.
The cost of a WordPress website depends on many factors
If you’re thinking about creating a WordPress website, you might be wondering how much it will cost. The answer isn’t simple, as there are many factors that can affect the price. In general, however, you can expect to spend anywhere from $100 to $500 for a basic WordPress website. Of course, if you want more features or a more custom design, your costs could increase. But even then, WordPress remains an affordable option for building a website.
Examples of factors that affect WordPress website cost
There are a number of factors that affect the cost of a WordPress website.
- The cost of hosting, for example, can vary depending on the hosting you choose and the size and scope of your website.
- The cost of a domain name can also vary depending on the extension you choose (.com, .net, .org, etc.) and whether or not you purchase it through a registrar or directly from WordPress.
- Additionally, the cost of your WordPress theme will affect the overall cost of your website. If you choose to purchase a premium theme, for example, it will likely be more expensive than a free theme.
- Finally, the cost of plugins and add-ons can also add to the overall cost of your WordPress website.
Example build of a WordPress site
For an example let’s look a bit more closely at what a WordPress site would cost to build:
- Domain 20 $/year
- Hosting 120 $/year (or 10 $/month)
- Premium theme 49 $/year
- Premium plugins 49–249 $/year
- Developer / Graphic designer (optional)~25 $/hour (varies)
Given numbers are estimates and may vary depending on your needs and the size of your WordPress website.
A basic WordPress site would cost us around 238 $/year, up to 439 $/year. To save on the yearly cost you can always use a cheap quality host like Bluehost and free plugins that can be easily found in the WordPress library.
Note — Yes, it is possible to build a WordPress site completely FREE but hosting and a domain will almost always cost you something.
What would a small WordPress site cost when built by a professional?
A small website with 10 pages which include:
- About us
- Five (5) service pages for each service
- Contact Us
… would take a developer on average around 30–50 hours depending on what tools they use and how complex the page will be. A work like this would include the graphical work done by a professional graphic designer and one revision.
If the work is done as “cost of labor” work it would up the price to somewhere between 500 $ — 1250 $, but in a more realistic look when we consider that the company that the developer and graphic designer work for, needs to make a profit, the real cost of a small WordPress site would be around 2000–5000 $ if ordered from a company.
Remember that on top of the development you still need to pay for hosting and domain. Premium themes and plugins might also be required, so remember to take these into consideration as well.
Note — The price varies heavily on the country you are located, hours required, customizations, integrations you might want, and many other factors that are impossible to even know at this point.
What to consider when asking for a quote for a WordPress site
If you plan on hiring a professional WordPress developer here are a few things you should ask yourself and write up before you go asking for a quote from a professional WordPress developer.
- What type of website are you thinking of building?
- Do you require a graphic designer or do you already have the design ready
- Do you plan on integrating the website with other services?
- What is your budget for the project?
- Will you require continuous support with the site after it’s published?
- What is the goal of the site (getting new customers, publishing content, serving as a landing page)?
- How fast do you require the project to be ready?
Note — These questions are only to help you get started. Always consult a professional regarding any pitfalls you might encounter when planning on building a website.
How to save money when building a WordPress website
There are a few ways to save money when building a WordPress website.
- One way is to use a free or low-cost theme. There are many great themes available for free or at a low cost.
- Another way to save money is to use a free or low-cost plugin. There are many great plugins available for free or for a low cost.
- Finally, you can save money by doing some of the work yourself. If you are comfortable working with code, you can create your own themes and plugins or customize existing ones.
Conclusion: Cost varies depending on needs
In conclusion, a WordPress website can cost anywhere from $100 to $1,000,000. The cost depends on the size and complexity of the website, as well as the hosting and maintenance costs. For most small businesses, a WordPress website will cost between $500 and $5,000. For larger businesses, the cost can be much higher and can even be in the millions.
Disclosure: In compliance with the FTC guidelines, please assume the following links: Any/all of the links on this post are affiliate links from which we receive a small compensation from sales of certain items.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through to the link.